Have you noticed? There is no longer a cold & flu season.....its always lurking around. My personal opinion is that we have this crazy notion that it is admirable (and of course EXPECTED) that you come to work with a cold/flu, and therefore we are constantly spreading it and re infecting ourselves.
So if you can't take a couple of days off to recover, here are some of the best way to shake the virus and protect yourself when others are infected:
1. Eat! Eat well, and eat lots. Incorporate foods high in Vit C, antioxidants and zinc. You cannot get enough of the following: veggies, soups, garlic, ginger, fish, and plant proteins (quinoa kicks butt!!). AVOID dairy when you're sick as it is mucous producing!!
2. WATER! when you are dehydrated, that pesky little virus gets easy access through mucous membranes that aren't lubricated. Gross, I know, but true :)
3. Add in the morning and before you go to bed the following supplements: Oil of Oregano & / Or Astragalus. (they kill bacterial AND viral infections), Vit C, Digestive Enzymes (PLANT!) Digestive Enzymes have been shown to "eat" the virus in our systems the same way they break down food particles in digestion.
4. Epsom Salt Soak at the end of your day. 3 cups of Epsom Salts in a hot as you can stand it tub (unless you have high blood pressure) will suck toxins out of your body. Add pure essential oils like lavender, rosemary & eucalyptus to boost the detox effects.
5. SLEEP!! you need 8 hrs for your body to heal and kick the cold or flu.
And as a final note I would like to add......if you see a massage therapist on a regular basis, please let them know if you are sick! I personally would rather have one less massage client in a day, rather than miss a whole day (or 3!!) because I have the flu/cold. :)
Thanks for reading!
Yours in FANTASTIC health,